The heat of the summer is on! Don’t let the humidity slow you down; you can still get your house sold in the doldrums of summer. The month of May was one of our busiest months for selling real estate and we expect June to be just as good. Here are some tips to help you get it sold!
- Keep the A/C cranking. Oftentimes sellers will put the A/C up and put the humidistat on. The problem with this is that the home is way too hot for potential buyers. You want your home to be inviting and make buyers feel comfortable, not dripping in sweat while viewing your house. Last summer I was in a house where the owners did this very thing. It was so hot inside that all the candles on the table had wilted over and curved from their once straight shape!
- Keep up with landscaping. It rains A LOT in the summer and the grass grows nonstop. Keep the yard trim and well-manicured so that your curb appeal is a 10 out of 10 for potential buyers. The rain keeps everything looking brilliantly green so be grateful for this problem!
- Keep it fresh. You will get fewer showings in the summer vs. winter months, so plan for it. Make sure you have a cleaning crew freshen the property up every week or two and try to keep some fresh flowers inside the home. Buyers love walking into a property that is clean and crisp!
- Drop the price and drop it good. Shock the market and make a substantial price drop of say 5% to 10% and say it’s summer-time pricing and you will be raising the price this upcoming winter. Give buyers a sense of urgency that if they don’t act now, they will miss out. I just did this 3 weeks ago on one of my listings and it is now under contract – and the seller couldn’t be happier!
- Tropical Storms don’t help anyone. Try to push closing dates as quickly as possible and get buyers to lock in their insurance ASAP. If a storm starts brewing in the tropics the insurance carriers won’t write a new policy and it will delay your closing. Avoid this if at all possible.
Follow these tips and you’ll be surprised how quickly you might sell your house in this hot and sticky summer. Good luck!
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 8 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com