Although the market is improving, there is still some uncertainty in buyers which can make your home more challenging to sell. Here are some tips to get you to the sold line.
- Keep it Neutral – Painting your house dark or bright colors might be fine while you’re living there, but when it comes time to sell, it can be a major turnoff to buyers. Most buyers can’t overlook something like this, but fortunately it can be very inexpensive to fix! You want to keep neutral and light colors. I’m selling a house right now with a bright blue wall in the living room and three couples have gone in for showings and all commented on it. Now the seller is painting it a neutral beige due to the buyer feedback.
- Less is More – De-clutter your home of knickknacks and excessive furniture. Keeping the basics is best because it makes the home appear larger and gives it a better feel for when buyers enter it. It also helps in pictures to have less furniture, making the space appear larger in the photos.
- Fix Little Things – This means light switches, door knobs – anything a buyer will physically touch is good to upgrade. They are inexpensive and can be replaced quickly. Any type of major remodeling isn’t the smartest to do because a new buyer will most likely want to upgrade to their liking. It can be difficult to recoup your costs when major remodeling is involved.
- Curb Appeal and Entry Way – Don’t forget about your landscaping and yard. This is the first thing a buyer will see and it can have the biggest impact on them falling in love with your home. This is a great place to spend a little time and money to get it sold. If you’re in a condo, make your entry way clean and welcoming. It’s a great idea to put a couple of potted fresh flowers by your front door to brighten it up and make it inviting.
- Don’t Get Personal – Once you decide to sell, focus on only that. Lose the emotion about what buyers will think or say about your home and focus on getting it sold. Selling your house can be very emotional. Don’t let it be. Focus on the check you will be getting and forget about the rest!
- Repair it – If there are repairs to be made, make them now. Don’t wait until the home inspector picks your home apart. It’s easier to market a home with all the repairs made vs. one that needs a bunch of work. It should make your sale process go smoother.
Call me at 239.825.2234 if you’d like more info or help selling your home.
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 9 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Need real estate help? Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com