If you are trying to sell your home, listen up because these strategies could make the difference between trying and actually selling your house. If you are priced at or below market your chances will dramatically increase for receiving an offer and getting it sold.
- Curb Appeal and Entry Way – Cut the grass and trim the bushes. Often the pathway to the front door will become overgrown or have palm limbs hanging over it. Remember to trim those back, it’s important to have a clear path to the door. If you own a condo, make sure the area surrounding your door is clear – with the exception of a door mat and a couple flowers. Simple is best.
- Windows and Doors – Make sure your main door is clean and freshly painted with the hardware and door handle sparkling. Also, make sure the locks operate smoothly and are easy to open. This is the first impression a buyer will have of touching your house. Make it a good one.
- Pets – Remove them! Get rid of all your furry friends, their toys and litter boxes, etc. I’m an animal lover, but I know that a lot of buyers are not. If they walk in and see animals in the house, a few things could happen: they could become scared of the big dog running around, the home could smell like animals, and/or the buyer could think that carpet will need to be replaced due to pets living in the home. Your furry friends aren’t helping you here, so it’s best to take them to the neighbors anytime you have a showing scheduled.
- Remove Yourself – I can’t tell you how many times I’ve showed a house and it’s ended in disaster because the seller had to be there! Buyers feel awkward and uncomfortable if you are in the house while they are viewing it. Buyers want to be able to speak freely about their likes and dislikes of the home. They won’t do that if you are in the house. Your goal is to have a buyer become comfortable in your house and stay as long as possible. The longer they are in the house, the greater the chance of them writing an offer.
- Depersonalize and Declutter – Remove all pictures of you and your family. Buyers want to envision themselves living there. Also, get rid of all the clutter in your house. Clutter creates chaos and adds zero appeal and value to your home. The cleaner and simpler it looks, the more likely a buyer will fall in love.
Need help Selling, Buying, or with Property Management? Please contact Gabe for FREE advice at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com Gabe Mellein is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, He has 8 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate.