Whether you are selling or buying, new to the real estate game or have had bad experiences with Realtors in the past (or present!), read on for some helpful questions to ask your prospective agent to increase your chances of a more pleasant experience! It’s like anything in life; do your homework upfront and it will pay off!
- Are you full time or part time? You’ll be amazed by how many Realtors try to make a career of this by working a few hours here and there. That simply doesn’t work. You need to hire someone who lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes real estate. They need to be hooked in 24/7. That Realtor will really know that market and have the best chance of knowing the right contact to help buy or sell your home.
- How many deals have you closed in the last quarter, six months, and year? You want to make sure you have an active Realtor on your team. The national average for Realtors is less than two homes sold per year. That is a scary statistic. Do you really want someone handling one of your biggest decisions who only does this one or two times a year? Look for someone who is doing 20 or more deals per year. Highly active agents are out there, don’t be afraid to ask.
- How often will we hear from you and in what form? Phone, email, text? This is really up to you and how often you want to be contacted. Some consumers like to be in touch very frequently while others don’t want to be bothered. What you are looking for here is for the necessary communication when needed. When that new house that matches your criteria just came on the market or when we have showing feedback on your house, for example.
- How are your negotiating skills? Give me an example. This is critical. You want a Realtor that will be working on your behalf to get you the best deal possible. You’d be amazed at how many lack this skill and just jumped into this business with no formal training. I buy and sell houses myself all the time, so I understand all the emotions my customers are going through. I also understand how important it is to keep the most amount of money in your pocket, that’s the number one goal!
- Are you passive or aggressive? You’d be surprised, once again, just how many Realtors sit around waiting for their phone to ring. That business model doesn’t work. A Realtor should be proactively going out there and drumming up business, marketing listings for sale and targeting the right buyers and homes. Ask how they will market your home! You need someone to make things happen for you.
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 8 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com