Let’s face it, buying a house can be the most stressful experience you’ll ever have – especially in today’s market. I’ll help you navigate the potential chaos and help you de-stress along the way. Follow these simple tips and this can be an enjoyable process, leaving you feeling good throughout your purchase and in a Zen-like state.
1. Be Prepared – If you’re getting a loan, talk to a bank before you even think about looking at houses. Find out exactly how much the bank will lend, so you know how much you can offer on a house. A mortgage can be the single most stressful part of the buying process. Expect issues to arise. Prepare to fax, scan, and mail tons of paperwork!
2. Negotiate – “He who cares least wins.” I know you want the house, but don’t get caught up in the emotion of it. Name your terms, negotiate what you think is fair, and either it will happen or it won’t. Don’t get over- involved. This gets the stress and anxiety brewing all too soon and you could end up paying too much.
3. Get home inspectors, contractors, and handymen in the house during your inspection period. Make sure everything is in working order and if not, have the seller fix it or back out of the deal if it’s too much work. If you’re making renovations, get estimates and selections picked out prior to closing. Don’t waste precious time. Get started fixing the home to your liking as soon as you can! You can enjoy it that much sooner!
4. Call your cable, electric, water & sewer, phone, and internet companies to set up accounts before closing. You can tell these companies weeks ahead of time which date to start service and I highly recommend doing so. Don’t forget your homeowners insurance – get this done early and protect your investment! Oftentimes you need it to close on your house.
5. Make contact with your closing company – An attorney or title company will be closing your sale. Communicate with them well in advance of the big day and get the details for closing. You don’t want ANY surprises!
6. Team Work – Hire a good Realtor to be on your side; they can arrange the right network of people for you to work with. This alone can virtually eliminate stress!
Follow these tips and you should have a smooth transaction. Don’t, and you may have a mental meltdown!
Need help Selling, Buying, or with Property Management? Gabe and the Realtors of Gulf Pointe Properties are glad to help: Contact Gabe directly at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com Gabe Mellein is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate.