Driving around Southwest Florida, it’s easy to notice the hammers clanging away and new subdivisions sprouting up. Unlike a lot of areas throughout the United States, builders are actually building and selling in our area right now. There are dozens of new developments from Naples to Fort Myers which is very exciting to see! What are the benefits to buying a new construction home verses undervalued resale homes and what are some tips to save money?
- Don’t just go into a new construction sales center without a Realtor. Oftentimes your Realtor will be able to get you a better deal and negotiate on your behalf. You will not save any money and most likely will overpay if you go at it alone. The builders don’t give any type of discount by not having representation of a Realtor.
- Negotiate for upgrades on the new home or for the builder to pay closing costs for you. Make sure you do this all upfront. At closing the builders tend to tack on lots of fees and it’s best to ask about them beforehand and get them negotiated early on!
- Most national home builders are publically traded companies and must turn a profit for their shareholders. That means come year and quarter end, it’s more likely you can get a better deal because they are looking to clean up their books. Patience can pay in this circumstance.
- Sometimes a buyer’s deal falls through and the builder is stuck with a brand new house without a buyer. This is called an inventory home. Oftentimes these are the best deals you can get because the builder wants to move them and will discount them to make that happen. You must act quickly because these don’t last long!
- It’s nice to have something brand new, up to current building codes, and to your specifications. There are many great deals on the resale market right now, but the prices offered by some of these builders are fantastic and shouldn’t be overlooked. Why buy used when you can buy new for similar pricing?
This truly is a great time to buy in our market. Prices are still low, but the market is coming to life. If you would like a list of the new construction communities in SW Florida or to see any of the model homes, please feel free to contact me. Happy buying!
Need help Selling, Buying, or with Property Management? Gulf Pointe Properties would be glad to help! Please contact Gabe for advice at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com Gabe Mellein is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, He has 8 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate.