As Seen in the Naples Daily News and Bonita Daily News
Everyday I am amazed at properties for sale that have little chance of selling because the sellers ignore these five things:
- Clear the entry! Make sure that you clean the front door and entry way. I always recommend a simple black mat and red flowers by the door. If your door knob is old and hard to turn, invest $30 and buy a new one. It is important that the first thing a buyer touches works with ease. This sets the stage for the rest of the showing.
- Clean it up! Sounds simple, but you would be surprised how often this is overlooked. This includes landscaping, touching-up paint, washing everything down, making sure all the light bulbs work, washing all the windows and floors, and making that house sparkle!
- De-Clutter! If you haven’t used it in 6 months then it’s time to give it away, throw it away, or sell it. The simple act of removing all clutter from the house has many benefits. It will make you think clearer, your life will feel simpler, and give you more of a sense of peace in the home. It also helps to keep your family pictures and personal items around the house to a minimum. For the incoming buyer, it will allow them to visualize the space where their pictures, decorations, and furnishings will go and how they will make the home their own. Warning: Don’t just take the boxes of clutter and jam it into a closet or the garage. If you can’t let go of it, then rent a storage space (often times you can go month-to-month). You’ll be amazed at how good you feel and you’ll be even more amazed at how much buyers like your house and hopefully all the offers you’ll receive!
- Stage it! If your house is vacant, it will serve you well to rent furniture and stage the bedrooms and living areas. This allows buyers to see where furniture would go in the home. Buyers always stay longer in a home that has furniture vs. an empty house, and the longer they are in the home; the more likely they will make an offer. If possible, have ALL the lights on and classical, relaxing music playing – you want the buyer to be comfortable!
- Leave the house! You want buyers to feel free to speak openly about their likes and dislikes of a home. If you are in the house while they are there, they will be reserved and not create an open dialogue. This dialogue is important because their objections, dislikes, and likes will surface and Realtors can then guide the buyers into hopefully making an offer on your house!
Follow these simple steps and you’ll be quick on your way to getting your home sold!