Last week I listed a condo for sale that I purchased and rehabbed to sell to an end buyer. I received multiple offers on it in less than 24 hours. Keep in mind, it’s the dead of summer in our off season. I’m confident the reason I was able to accomplish that was because of the particular remodeling I did to the property prior to selling it.
- Tear out that carpet. If you can swing it, invest in removing the carpet in the main living areas and put in wood or a wood look-alike. People are leaning more towards wood than tile, as it seems in our daily interactions. This is something that will certainly give a ‘wow’ factor in getting your house sold.
- Kitchens are a must! If you can put granite in the kitchen it will make a world of difference. If your cupboards are decent, just put new knobs on the doors and drawers. I recommend silver or brushed nickel knobs. Stainless Steel appliance packages make buyers fall in love!
- Paint everything! Paint in somewhat neutral colors; off-whites, beiges, and light earth tones usually appeal to most buyers. Don’t forget to paint the trim, ceilings and doors too! Ceilings should be flat white. Trim and doors should be semi-gloss white. Walls should be eggshell with the color you choose. That combination works very well and it will give the entire home a nice clean look that buyers love.
- Put in new light fixtures and ceiling fans. You can get some great light fixtures and fans for less than $100 a piece and they make huge differences to buyers. Don’t be afraid to take down the old and put up the new!
- If door knobs are grimy, put new ones in. If smoke detectors are yellow put new ones in. All these items are small quick fixes and very cheap, but they will go a long way in getting your home sold.
Of course there are a lot of improvements you could make to get your house sold, but don’t fall into that trap. Try to focus on the things I listed here and it will help you get the best return on your money and find a buyer quickly. Keep it simple, do all of these things if you can and if not, try to work on just one thing to remodel your house. Good luck selling!
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 8 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Need real estate help? Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com