I always tell my clients, “Never get too excited about selling your house until you get all the documents signed and a check in your hand!” In real estate, there are always things that can go awry – and often do. Here are some steps to help guide you through the process once you get a buyer’s signed offer.
- Make sure the buyer’s deposit is made to the title company or attorney. This is important because it is what binds the contract and puts some skin in the game.
- If the buyer is getting a loan, make sure they get their loan application started right away. Financing can be challenging right now and there is no reason to waste time with this process. If an appraisal is needed, it also needs to be ordered right away.
- Home inspections should also be done promptly. If there are repairs needed, it’s important to have ample time to get them done prior to closing and transferring the home to the buyer.
- Has the title insurance been ordered to ensure there is clear title to be passed on to the buyer? You can’t close without clear title and insurance stating that fact.
- In regards to insurance, it’s important that the buyer gets their homeowners insurance and flood insurance set up prior to closing on the home.
- Sometimes a buyer will want a survey of the house and if the buyer is getting a loan, the bank will want one. This takes time to get a surveyor out to the home, so do not delay.
- Is the closing date still scheduled to be on track? It’s important to keep in touch with the closing attorney or title company every week to make sure all the work is being done to get your home closed. If things get delayed it can throw a wrench in the process and even blow the sale. Simple communication is key.
- Make sure the home is spick-and-span for the buyer’s final walk through the day of closing. If something stands out as incomplete or wrong to them, they could delay closing and you don’t want that!
- Set up a day and time with your attorney or title company and make sure you’ve signed all the papers required and turn in all your keys and garage remotes. Most importantly, don’t forget to give them wire instructions or let them know how you’d like to receive your check for the proceeds of your sale!
As you can see, there are so many working pieces to get a real estate deal closed. Hire a pro (like myself!) to help guide you through this and you’ll be very glad you did!
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012 and 2013. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 9 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Need real estate help? Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com