If you are going to sell your home, be prepared: it’s a competitive market. Here are 7 ways to increase your home’s value and hopefully yield a quicker sale.
- Exterior paint will make the house look brand new. This is the first thing buyers will see, it’s inexpensive, and can easily give your whole house a facelift. If you’re in a condo, consider painting your front door. Stick with neutral colors that will appeal to the masses.
- Dress up the outdoor space. Investing in new sod, mulch, flowers, or shrubs can transform your house within a day! Consider exterior lighting to give your home more ambiance at night in case buyers are cruising by when it’s dark outside.
- Consider new flooring. Stick to tile or wood in the living areas and if you’d like carpet, do that in the bedrooms. Most buyers are gravitating towards hard surface flooring throughout the home due to the fact that it stays cleaner longer, lasts longer, is more hygienic, and has a nicer look than most carpet.
- If your kitchen and bathrooms need updating, consider new cabinets and counter tops. This can be an expensive area to improve, but they are the two best rooms in the house that can be improved to get it sold. New tile and showers and plumbing can be expensive, but it could easily get you a return on your investment.
- Paint inside the home. This will provide a clean new feel to the house. Stick with a neutral color that will appeal to the majority of buyers. This is a quick and simple fix that is often overlooked. Definitely consider painting if it’s been several years since a fresh coat was put on.
- Update the lighting and fixtures. These can usually be purchased for less than $100 at Home Depot or Lowes and will make a world of difference in your home. Buyers notice nice quality lights and fans. Don’t be afraid to update them!
- Deep clean your house. Make sure you make the windows sparkle too. It’s important to have a clean, clutter- free environment for buyers to walk into. It makes them feel more comfortable while in your house and hopefully more likely to write an offer!
I know this list can seem like a lot to tackle. Don’t worry, just start with one or two things and see how you feel and maybe you house will be sold before you have to do anything else!
Gabe Mellein was voted a Top Real Estate Agent – Exceptional in Service and Overall Satisfaction by Gulfshore Life Magazine in 2012 and 2013. He is the broker of Gulf Pointe Properties, Inc and has over 9 years experience in the SW Florida Real Estate Market. He is a member of The Naples Area Board of Realtors, Bonita Springs – Estero Association of Realtors, Realtor Association of Greater Fort Myers and the Beach, The Florida Association of Realtors, The National Association of Realtors, and is nationally certified in Feng Shui for Real Estate. Need real estate help? Please contact Gabe at: 239.825.2234, Gabe@GulfPointeProperties.com or www.GulfPointeProperties.com